Saturday, November 26, 2011

[SOLVED] Ubuntu 11.10 throws a purple screen of death when updated from 11.04

The temporary solution is rooted here http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.com/2011/11/temporary-solution-ubuntu-1110-bug.html

I found out after a lot of experimentation that Linux kernel 3.0.0-13-generic won't load into my system due to hardware limitations. So, in previous post I tried the next best alternative - go back to the previous linux kernel and use "text" boot to avoid plymouth.

Now, I was left with couple of linux kernels. The way I removed the extra linux kernel (here 3.0.0-13) was to go through the following steps:


1. Find your exact kernel, in terminal

sudo dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-image

2. Then to remove the extra kernel


sudo apt-get purge linux-image-3.0.0-13-generic

reboot



3. Remove extra headers:


sudo apt-get  --purge remove linux-headers-3.0.0-13-generic


4. Once extra kernels are removed, reboot now to log in. It will take you to the text booting (which is not very nice to look at but simple and effective), type in your username and password followed by the command to load light desktop manager:

sudo service lightdm start


It works every time for me and for sure work for you as well. I'll wait for a stable and compatible linux kernel to install another one (already experimented with 3.0.0-12 but same problem for purple screen!). Till then I'll stick to whatever I have right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment